Friday, September 14, 2012

It's been a while...since I could...

To start off, an old song that I like that can relate to my last posting... Enjoy :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NGe9mLAEc

...Well...since this is a new blog and I have done a great disservice by not blogging I have the odd advantage of having no followers and therefore I can use this as a practice round. Alas, if someone out there is reading this, thanks :-) and please look at the video(s) and continue reading.

So, this blog still has no official direction; another odd advantage. We'll see where this goes then.

I was thinking about possible directions for this particular posting. I was originally going to do the whole "first-day-of-higher-level-classes-thing-where-they-ask-the-class-what-is.." question. My version: What is geography?

But that would be pointless. So I move on. I'll start the discussion of:
 "Should an undergraduate geography student pursue a higher degree (Masters' Master's certificate, and possibly Doctorate) in Geography or Geographic Information Systems or Sciences?"

Of course it depends on the path upon which that student hopes to travel; however, does pursuing a degree in GIS or Sc ensure a shorter gap between graduation and employment? Which also, hopefully, ensures steady and stable earnings?

Some posts ago, I listed graduate schools that I would be applying to to earn a Masters' degree in Geography. And then I went to Intro to GIS class on the first day and my professor, with a PhD, said in so many words that the geography world is going towards GIS and that is where the jobs are. I have known this for years but does the degree have to say "GIS"? Can
 it say "Geography" and you also add on your resume "GIS Certificate"? I plan on discussing this with the aforementioned professor.

Alas, please share your thoughts about this and I will share the results of my discussion!

And now two more YouTube videos!

A funny and interesting collage of accents! WARNING: There is cursing and harsh language. So. Don't be uptight about it :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dABo_DCIdpM&list=FL59w7Dp-Yra81dJ6EjCUZxQ&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Next, RELAXATION & MEDITATION! This week I have started the practice of meditation as well as yoga. I am perfectly aware that I am tens of thousands of years late on both of these but I am thankful that in September 2012 I have finally indulged in my curiosities. In addition to meditTing with incense and crystals ($1.50 each from a vendor at First Fridays here in Tallahassee), I play relaxing music. Enjoy and relax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58pigO5Dig&list=FL59w7Dp-Yra81dJ6EjCUZxQ&index=6&feature=plpp_video

Sidenote: A BIG thank you to the peoples of Asia! Meditation, yoga, peacful religions, healthy lifestyles and great food....we can learn a lot from your cultures and ways of life!  


Oh and a picture:
Me, Top of the Rock, Rockefeller Center when I went to  NYC this summer...I have a post for that. Coming. Eventually. I posed by a compass :-)

Thanks as always for reading!

Best,

Geo Jessica B.

No comments:

Post a Comment